Thursday, March 24, 2011

My "New" Shoes (or New "Shoes"?)

I've been fortunate to receive several new pairs of shoes during the last few weeks -- La Sportiva's Crosslite 2.0 (which isn't actually a replacement for the original Crosslite, but a new shoe altogether. More on that another time), as well as La Sportiva's Fireblade (ran Duke Forest hills in these this morning, and I really like them).

But the best pair I've received came from Squonk, one of the original Trailheads. He very kindly converted a much-abused pair of Crosslites into "Sport Slippers." This involved much toiling in his secret workshop, a significant amount of branding with a Sharpie; and the careful application of duct tape (including the part where he had to touch the insole of my shoes -- knowing where my shoes have been, ick!). Squonk even managed to take my new SportSlippers to the woods for a visit without me:


And then he presented them to me at the Open Eye yesterday. I happily took off my running shoes and my wet socks and slipped them on. Immediately, I wanted to go out and run another 20 miles. Or something like that. Thanks Squonk!

Last week, I spent a few days in Montreal, for the International Studies Association annual meeting. I had time for a couple runs, mostly around Mount Royal Park. There was still a good bit of snow on the trails, and ice/snow on the main gravel road (I took my Crosslite 2.0 shoes, rather than road shoes, and I was happy to have the great traction....and they felt just fine for the mile or so run on road/sidewalk from my hotel).

The sun was (mostly) out, and it was a balmy 40 degrees for my second run (closer to 30 on the first day). Lots of locals were out running, walking their dogs, or commuting across the park. The views of the city from the top are great, and the run up the main road was a gentle climb the entire way (of course, it helps that the peak is only 764 feet above sea level!). I also ran a bit on the trails -- nice to have one more dose of winter for the year. I've never been to Montreal in the spring or summer, but I'm sure that the running is even better then.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment